1. Set out egg whites about 1 hour ahead.
2. When ready to make cake, start heating oven to 375º.
3. Sift flour with 1/2 cups of sugar 4 times.
4. In a large bowl, combine egg whites, salt, cream of tartar and extracts with
electric mixer at high speed. Beat egg whites until stiff enough to hold a soft
5. With mixer at same speed, beat in 1 c. sugar, sprinkling 1/4 c. at a time over
egg whites. Beat until sugar is just blended.
6. Stop mixer. Sift in flour mixture by fourths, folding in each addition with 15
complete folding over strokes of spoon, rubber spatula, or a wire whip and
turning bowl often. After all flour has been folded in, give batter 10 - 20 extra
7. Gently push batter into ungreased 4 " deep 10" tube pan. With spatula, cut
through batter once without lifting spatula out of batter.
8. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted, comes out clean. Cool,
then remove from pan.
Turn your pan upside down until it cools. I always put mine over a bottle like
ketchup or a salad bottle, one that fits the hole in the pan. If your pan has
little legs on the top, you can turn the pan over. Be sure to read the recipe
over before you start, and it will be easy.
Be sure to read the recipe over before you start, and it will be easy. Once you make one, the next one will be easy. Good luck! Love, Leona
Dave always loved Mrs. Weyant's Angel Food cakes. They were so light, tall, and fluffy - melt in your mouth delicious. She usually saved Dave an extra piece and put it aside so no one would eat it. Sorry Denny. She emailed me this recipe.