Pre Heat oven to 400 degrees F
1. Ligtly grease a baking sheet with butter
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar , baking powder and salt
3. Add butter. Gently cut in te butter with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles oatmeal
4. Beat the egg in a small bowl until frothy. Add milk and stir
5. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture . ( Optional: add berries, chocolate chips etc. now) Gently stir into flour mixture until just moistened
6. Put dough into lightly floured surface, and knead gently 6-8 times.
7. Divide the dough into two equal portions. Pat each into a circle 1 1/2 cm thick. Cut into 6 wages and place on the prepared baking sheet
8. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
The secret to making successful scones is not to handle the mixture too much or to add too much flour when patting out the dough