• 1 1/2 pounds of beets
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
• 2 large shallots, peeled and sliced
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
• 3 cloves
• 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 tablespoon sugar
• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 cup whole milk yogurt
• chopped fresh dill or chives (optional)
Peel and slice beets and place in large saucepan with 8 cups of water
add garlic, shallots, bay leaf, coriander, cloves, cayenne, sugar, vinegar, oil and salt
bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until beets are tender.
Check the seasoning of the broth, it should be distinctly sweet, sour, peppery and flavorful Add salt or pepper if needed.
Remove the bay leaf
Puree the soup in a blender
Chill until cold
Just before serving whisk in the yogurt.
Taste and adjust seasoning, adding a splash of vinegar if necessary