4 chickens, 2 1/2 pounds each
1 head of garlic, peeled and finely pureed
1/4 cup dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
6 bay leaves
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup Italian parsley or cilantro finely chopped
1. In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350ºF
3. Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two larger shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken piece with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.
4. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest, yields clear yellow juice.
5. With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoons of pan juices and sprinkle with parsley. Pass remaining juice in a boat.
6. Can be served cool or warm.