1 medium sweet potato
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup maple syrup
1. Wash thoroughly and boil the sweet potato with skin on until tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly; peel and cut into several pieces.
2. Puree the potato until smooth; set aside approximately 1/2 cup.
3. Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter 16 muffin tins or line with paper liners.
4. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and cloves.
5. In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in the milk, maple syrup, and sweet potato puree; mix thoroughly.
6. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the potato mixture into it. Stir until ingredients are incorporated. Do not over-mix.
7. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full with batter. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 25 minutes.