4 squared (4 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooked
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
4 T. butter, softened
2 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. peppermint flavoring
4 drops green food coloring
1 to 2 T. milk
2/3 c. semisweet chocolate pieces
6 T. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 350º. Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan (a jelly roll pan); set aside.
2. To make the Brownies: In a large mixing bowl, beat
together the melted unsweetened chocolate, the 1 cup
softened butter, the sugar, eggs and the 2 tsp. vanilla with an electric mixer until combined. Stir in the flour and walnuts or pecans.
3. Spread the brownie batter in the prepared baking pan. Bake in the 350º oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the center is set. Cool the Brownies in the pan on a wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, to make the Mint Layer: In a small mixing bowl using the electric mixer, beat together the 4 T. softened butter, the powdered sugar, peppermint flavoring and green food coloring. Add enough milk to make the mixture a spreading consistency.
5. Spread the Mint Layer over the cooled Brownies. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
6. To make the topping: In the top of a double boiler, melt the semisweet chocolate pieces and 6 T. butter and the 2 tsp. vanilla, stirring frequently. Remove the double boiler top from the heat and let the topping cool slightly.
7. Carefully spread the cooled topping over the chilled Mint Layer. Let the bars stand for 1 hour; cut into 36 (2x1 1/2 inch) bars.