Chocolate Butter Cream:
Combine ingredients and beat until smooth. Add more milk if necessary to achieve good spreading consistency.
1) In skillet over medium heat, cook almonds until golden, stirring frequently; cool.. In blender or food processor, blend almonds until finely ground; set aside.
2) Line 2 large cookie sheets with foil. Using 8" round plate or cake pan as a guide, outline 2 circles on each sheet with a tooth pick.
3) Preheat oven to 275ºF . In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beating at high speed add sugar 2 Tb at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar completely dissolves and whites stand in stiff glossy peaks.
4) Into egg white mixture, with wire whisk or spatula, carefully fold ground almonds.
5) Spoon 1/4 of mix into each circle. With metal spatula spread evenly to cover entire circle.
6) Place cookie sheets in oven, bake 30 minutes. Switch racks so that meringue browns evenly, bake 30 minutes longer or until golden.
7) Cool meringues on cookie sheets on wire racks for 10 minutes. Loosen with metal spatula. Remove from foil to wire racks. Cool completely.
8) Hull and thinly slice enough strawberries to make 1 1/2 cups.
9) On serving plate place 1 meringue layer. Spread with 1/3 of butter cream and top with 1/3 of sliced strawberries. Make two more layers, and top with last meringue layer.
10) Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Spoon 1 1/3 cups whipped cream into decorating bag with large star tube. Set aside. Spread remaining whipped cream on top and side of cake. With cream in decorating bag garnish top edge of cake.
11) Refrigerate cake 4 hours to soften meringue layers slightly for easier cutting.
12) Cut 16 slices from remaining strawberries. Press into cream on the side of the cake. Hull remaining berries and cut into halves. Pile into center of the cake.