32 ounces light sour cream or single cream
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies (sometimes I
substitute chopped jalapenos for 1 can of chiles)
20 corn tortillas
4-6 cups shredded cheese (I use cheddar, colby longhorn, "or"
cheddar or jack)
1 onion, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Combine sour cream, soup, and chilis (and/or
jalapenos) in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
3. When sauce is well heated, set aside.
4. Tortillas (step 1): Completely, but lightly cover both
sides of one tortilla with shortening (Don't be afraid to use your
hands), then place the tortilla on a microwave-safe plate.
5. Tortillas (step 2): Completely but lightly cover one
side of the next tortilla and place it atop the first tortilla,
shortening side up.
6. Repeat Step 2 until all tortillas are stacked, then
microwave the entire stack on high for 4-5 minutes.
7. Allow to cool.
8. Combine shredded cheese and chopped onion in a
bowl and gently mix together using your hands.
9. Lightly cover the bottom of a baking dish with some
of the sauce (This will prevent the tortillas from becoming stiff
and chewy as they cook).
10. Place a generous portion of the cheese/onion
mixture onto a tortilla, then roll the tortilla like a cigar (not too
11. Place into the baking dish, seam side down to
prevent the enchilada from unrolling.
12. Repeat until all tortillas have been stuffed, rolled,
and placed into the baking dish (it may take more than one
baking dish for 20 enchiladas).
13. Cover the enchiladas with the sour cream sauce
and any leftover cheese/onion stuffing.
14. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, depending on
15. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.