1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
8 to 9 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb boneless chicken thighs or breasts or both
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut pole to pole into 1/2 in strips
8 oz Spanish Chorizo, sliced 1/2 in thick on the bias
1 medium onion, chopped fine ( about 1 cup)
1 can (141/2) oz diced tomatoes, drained,minced and drained again
2 c Arborio rice
3 c chicken broth
1/3 c dry white wine
1/2 tsp saffron threads, crumbled
1 bay leaf
1/2 c frozen green peas, thawed
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 lemon, cut into wedges for serving
1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position; heat oven to 350º. Toss shrimp, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tbps oil, and 1 tsp garlic in medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Season Chicken with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. Heat 2 tsp oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until skin begins to blister and turn spotty black, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer peppers to small plate and set aside.
3. Add 1 teaspoon oil to now empty Dutch oven; heat oil until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken pieces in single layer; cook, without moving pieces, until browned, about 3 minutes. Turn pieces and brown on second side, about 3 minutes longer; transfer chicken to medium bowl. Reduce heat to medium and add chorizo to pot; cook, stirring frequently, until deeply browned and fat begins to render, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to bowl with chicken and set aside.
4. Add enough oil to fat in Dutch oven to equal 2 tablespoons; heat over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes; stir in remaining garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes; cook until mixture begins to darken and thicken slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook until grains are well coated with tomato mixture, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, wine, saffron, bay and 1/2 tsp salt. Return chicken and chorizo to pot, increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, uncovered, stiring occasionally. Cover pot and transfer to oven; cook until rice absorbs almost all liquid, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from oven; scatter shrimp over rice, arrange bell pepper strips in pinwheel pattern, and scatter peas over top. Cover and return to oven; cook until shrimp are opaque 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Optional; If soccarat is desired, set Dutch oven, uncovered over medium high heat about 5 minutes, rotating pot 180 degrees after about 2 minutes for even browning.
6. Let paella stand, covered, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley and serve, passing lemon wedges separately.