There is a growing trend with people transferring their collection of family recipes from recipe boxes, dogeared cookbooks or magazine and newspaper clippings into a beautifully bound printed family cookbook.
Family Cookbook Project, a leader in personalized cookbook creation, please surveyed their editors to determine what are the biggest challenges in making a family cook.
Here is what they said:
- You don’t know where to begin – many people simply did not know how to start. They needed a program that provides step-by-step instructions to help them submit their recipes and design their cookbook. Customer support was also very important in getting answers two roadblocks they hit.
- You’re not a graphic designer – many people were intimidated by the design elements of creating a cookbook. Creating a cookbook cover and laying out the recipes can be a daunting experience unless you have professionally design covers and recipe layouts already designed for you.
- Not all your recipes are written down – Some people simply had not written down their favorite recipes or recipes passed down from past family members had a pinch of this and a handful of that. Creating a personal cookbook got them to re-create each dish and actually measure ingredients so that the results were consistent every time the recipe is used.
- You don’t have time to type all your recipes – some people simply did not have time or inclination to type in all of the recipes. Often they had recipes already in a digital format, like Microsoft word, that they wanted to simply cut and paste into an online format. at times they wanted to include an actual recipe card as the recipe itself.
- You don’t want to do it alone – having the ability to invite other contributors to submit recipes was another way that editors weren’t able to lower the workload on themselves and also Expand the sources of recipes for their family cookbook. Getting other family members to contribute also engaged the family and brought everyone together.
Creating a personal or family cookbook is a rewarding experience. It allows us to clear out a lot of clutter in the kitchen as well as preserve Family traditions and recipes for future generations.
The good news is that using the power of the Internet, websites like Family Cookbook Project can make creating your own personal cookbook enjoyable and easy to do.
Bill Rice is founder and Co-Publisher of the Great Family Cookbook Project, a website that helps families and individuals collect and share food memories through customized printed cookbooks filled with treasured recipes. Follow us on Facebook and Pinterest!