1. Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans; set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add margarine or butter, milk, rum, and lemon extract. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Add egg yolks and beat 1 minute more or until combined. Pour into prepared pans.
2. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks. Remove from pans; cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, for frosting in a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, water, and cream of tartar. Cook and stir until bubbly and sugar dissolves.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites and vanilla. Add hot sugar mixture very slowly to egg white mixture, beating constantly with an electric mixer on high speed about 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form (tips stand up).
5. For filling, combine 1 cup of the frosting mixture, soft macaroons, pecans, and candied cherries.
6. Spread filling between cake layers. Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting. Makes 12 servings.
Dissolve sugar and cream of tartar in water and boil until syrup forms a soft ball in cold water. Pour syrup over egg whites, beating constantly. Add orange and lemon juice to fruit, macaroon crumbs and nuts. Combine the 2 mixtures. Cool and spread between layers of cake.