1 lb. ground beef, or soy + beef equivalent.
2 c. green pepper chopped.
1 c. celery chopped.
1 c. onion chopped.
3 cloves garlic minced.
1/2 c. oregano.
2 tbsp. basil.
7 bay leaves.
1/2 c. parsley.
1-2 tbsp. salt, or salt to taste.
1/2 tsp. black pepper (optional).
2 6 oz. cans tomato paste.
4 8 oz. cans tomato sauce -
Additional tomato paste or sauce if needed to produce the consistency of chili.
1 c. mushroom pieces (optional).
1-2 tsp of oil (optional)
SPAGHETTI SAUCE: :
1) Break ground beef into pieces.
2) Fry beef in well-seasoned large frying pan until browned, stirring a few times.
3) Remove ground beef from pan, leaving grease in the pan. Add a little cooking oil if needed.
4) Cook green pepper and celery in the grease in the pan about 2-3 minutes until not quite tender.
5) Add onion, garlic, and mushroom pieces.
6) Cook on low-to-medium heat, stirring for about 2 minutes or until onion is translucent.
7) Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, cooked ground beef, bay leaves, basil, salt, pepper, parsley and oregano.
8) Cook on low heat covered or mostly covered for about 40 min., checking regularly and stirring.
9) Remove bay leaves before serving.
1) Break uncooked spaghetti pieces into 3-4 inches pieces. Smaller ends ok.
2) Add a little oil to boiling water if desired to keep cooked spaghetti from sticking together.
3) Boil as directed on package.
4) Serve hot spaghetti topped with hot spaghetti sauce, with grated parmesan cheese, salt and other spices, added at the table as desired.