1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Add butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to one cup water in
medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
When butter melts, reduce heat to low.
3. Add flour to butter-water mixture all at once and cook over
low heat, beating with a wooden spoon, for one minute, until
mixture pulls away from side of pan. Remove pan from heat.
4. Add cheese to pan and beat in with a wooden spoon until
well incorporated. Add four of the eggs, one at a time, beating
each egg into the batter until thoroughly absorbed. Continue
beating mixture until it is smooth, shiny, and firm.
5. Drop batter in small spoonfuls onto a lightly greased cookie
sheet to form Gourgeres. Beat remaining egg with 1/2 tbsp.
water, then brush tops of uncooked Gougeres with egg wash.
6. Bake in upper third of over for 15-20 minutes until
Gougeres are golden and doubled in size. Remove from over
and serve hot, or allow to cool to room temperature.
Source: SAVEUR Magazine