1.In a large dutch oven,heat the olive oil.Add the beef and cook over moderately high heat,breaking up the meat,until no pink remains. Add the garlic,oregano and crushed red pepper until fragrant.
Stir in tomato paste and cook until meat is coated.Add the tomatoes and their juices and the tomato puree along with the broth,bay leaves,thyme and sugar.Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.Simmer over moderate heat,stirring occasionally,until thickened and reduced to about 8 cups-roughly 1 1/2 hours.Remove the bay leaves and thyme.
2. Meanwhile heat a large skillet and cook the sausage.Drain and crumble.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ricotta,parsley,basil and 1/4 c of Parmesan. Add 2/3 of the mozzarella.Add the beaten egg.
4. Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of salted water until al dente.Drain and rinse under cold water. Dry the noodles between layers of paper towels.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish.Line the dish with 4 overlapping noodles. Put heaping spoonfuls over the noodles and spread evenly.Top with 1/3 of sausage, 1 1/2 cups of sauce.Top with 4 noodles and repeat layering.
The last layer of noodles cover with sauce,the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
6. Bake the lasagna for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and crisp around the edges.(cover with foil for the first 20 minutes) Let the lasagna rest for 20 minutes.
** If made ahead can be reheated in a 325 degree oven