1. Place 2 cups flour in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add yeast, salt, sugar, and dry milk.
3. Mix well, set aside.
4. In a small bowl, combine water and egg; stir to
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
6. Pour water mixture into the well.
7. Mix by hand, beating 150 strokes, frequently
scraping bottom and sides of bowl.
8. Add 1/2 of the melted butter, and beat until incorporated.
9. Add remaining flour, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating to incorporate each addition.
10. Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
11. Set dough in a warm place, such as oven with a pan of the hottest tap water on the rack below.
12. Allow batter to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
13. Coat bottom and sides of 2 (8 inch) round cake pans with shortening.
14. Punch dough down (batter will be extremely soft and sticky).
15. Drop by hand or spoonful into prepared pans, with sides touching.
16. Brush dough with 1/2 remaining melted butter.
17. Let rise, uncovered, in a warm place, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
18. Bake in preheated 400° oven, on middle rack for 16-18 minutes.
19. Brush tops of baked rolls with remaining melted butter.