3 large heads cabbage, cored
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground veal or turkey
2 large onions, finely chopped
1 T. garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. cooked rice
seasoned salt and pepper
1 t. celery seed
2 t. oregano
4 cans tomato soup
1 can milk
1. Microwave cabbage heads 10 minutes each. Let cool. Peel leaves off and separate large outer leaves from small inner leaves. If inner leaves are not soft enough to roll, microwave a couple of minutes longer.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients, except soup and milk, and mix well. The technique I like best is to mix all the liquid ingredients, like eggs, with the seasonings, rice and onion and then add the ground meats. Seems to mix easier.
3. In a large roasting pan with a lid, place large outer cabbage leaves on the bottom.
4. Using remaining leaves (other than the small inner leaves), place a small handful of meat mixture in each leaf and roll up like you would a burrito, completely sealing in the meat. Place in roaster, seam side down.
5. Layer rolls in roaster, alternating directions. When full, place small leaves on top of rolls.
6. Combine soup and milk and pour over rolls. Bake at 350 degrees until done, about 90 minutes.