1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease 10 in. round gratin dish or deep pie plate.
2. Medium Slicer: Stand apples in feed tube and slice using firm pressure. Remove from work bowl and set aside.
3. Steel Knife: Combine yams, 6 tbsp. melted butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, sherry, cinnamon, and salt in work bowl and puree until smooth.
4. Spread half of pureed yam mixture in prepared dish.
5. Arrange half of apple slices over yams, overlapping evenly. Repeat layers.
6. Brush apple slices with remaining 2 tbsp. melted butter. Bake ‘til apples are tender (not mushy) and mixture is heated through, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Note: Can be prepared 2 days in advance. Cover and
refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.)
From Bon Appeit 1995