1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 ¼ cups buttermilk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Coat two 8-inch round or heart shaped cake pans with non-stick cooking spray (Baker’s Joy).
2. In a medium size bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until well blended. Set aside.
3. In bowl of an electric mixer beat butter, sugar and vanilla on medium speed for three minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour; beat one minute.
5. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 36 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool cakes in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack; let cool completely before frosting.
Cooled cakes can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen. Thaw and frost.