1. Rinse neck bones under running water. Add meat to a large pot or Dutch Oven. Cover with about three inches of water. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 1-1/2 hours.
2. After simmering for 2 hours the meat should be tender and meat is nearly falling off bone.
3. Remove meat from pot, set aside. Taste juice for saltiness. Drain liquid from pot reserving 1 cup.
3. Wash and cut cabbage into wedges. Then cut wedges in half. Add butter to pot, add cabbage wedges, whole white potatoes, black pepper, sugar and red pepper. Simmer until cabbage begins to wilt.
4. Return meat to pot, add onions, bay leaves, thyme, garlic powder.Let simmer on low heat for an additional 20 minutes, until cabbage and potatoes are tender.
5. Serve your neck bones, with corn bread.