1. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
2. Drain the pears, pat dry with paper towel. Reserve Syrup!
3. Stir flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl until blended.
4. Cut butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pour the milk over the flour mixture. Toss with fork just until blended, do not over mix.
5. Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Smooth top. Arrange pears over batter in a circular pattern. Brush with some of the reserve syrup. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Place wooden toothpick in center of cake.
6. Bake at 400F until wooden pick inserted into center of cake is withdrawn clean and top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.
7. Transfer to wire rack to cool, about 15 minutes. Brush with reserve syrup.
8. Invert cake onto plate. Remove pan. Return to upright position on wire rack. Cool until serving time.
9. Cut into wedges, serve with a dollop of whipped cream, flavored with ground cinnamon or nutmeg. Or substitute with ice cream (Vanilla or Peach) for whipped cream topping.