1. In large pot, brown 1 pound ground chuck; drain fat. 2. Add sauce, paste, and water.
3. Add spices.
4. Cook over low heat for 3 hours.
5. Add vermouth and cook another hour.
Preparation: In large Dutch oven, pour oil in to approximately 1". Heat oil. To test if oil is hot enough, wet fingers and "flick" water into oil. If oil sizzles, it is ready.
1. Pour bread crumbs in small bowl; add water until crumbs are wet and soupy. Set aside.
2. Combine ground chuck, eggs, bread crumb mixture, Parmesan cheese, and spices. Mix well with hands.
3. Form 1/2" to 1" balls.
4. Fry in hot oil until browned and inside of meatball is done - approximately 5-6 minutes. Be sure to turn meatball every 2 minutes or so for even browning.