• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
• 2 Large yellow onions chopped
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
• Pinch nutmeg
• 6 cloves minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
• 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 6 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth
• 2 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and separated
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 1/4 cups shredded medium Cheddar
• ½ Pound Velveeta cubed in 1” X 1” Cubes
2 cup 1/2 to 3/4-inch cubed French bread
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon Essence or Creole seasoning, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a medium pot, melt the 6 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the garlic and thyme cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the flour and cook, stirring until the mixture is well blended and smells fragrant. Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender.
Remove the pot from the heat and puree with a hand-held immersion blender. (Alternatively, in batches, puree in a blender or food processor and return to the pot.)
Add the cream and bring to bare simmer to heat through. Add the cheese and cook over low heat, stirring, until melted. Add the remaining 4 tablespoons cold butter, stirring to blend.
Remove from the heat and ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle croutons over the top of the soup and serve immediately.
Place the bread in a medium bowl and toss with oil and Essence. Spread evenly on a small baking sheet and bake, stirring twice, until light golden brown on top, about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.