2 1/4 C. flour
1C. white sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks (3/4 C) unsalted butter
1 tsp. pure Vanilla extract
4 C. fresh rhubarb stalks, leaves removed, sliced in 1/4- inch thick crosswise slices
2 C. strawberries, hulled and sliced
3/4 C. white Sugar
Juice of 1 Lemon
1/4 C. flour
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
pinch of nutmeg(optional)
30 mins @ 350ºF then 325ºF for 40-50 mins
For the SKILLET CRUST:
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt and set aside.
2. In a very large skillet over meium-low heat, melt the butter gently-do NOT brown! When melted stir in vanilla. Add dry ingredients from the bowl and turn off heat. Using a wooden spoon, mix ingredients to form crumbs (they will be a bit clumpy, but be persistent). Allow the crumbs to cool for several minutes.
3. As soon as the crumbs are cool enough to handle, transfer two cups of them to a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan that has been buttered. Use your hands to gently press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
4. Reserve the remaining crumbs to top the pie.
For the FILLING:
1.Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, flour, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg(optional)in a large bowl and allow to rest for 10 minutes
3. Pour filling evenly into pie shell, smoothing the top with a spoon. then crumble the remaining crumbs for the crust recipe evenly over the pie. Press down gently.
4. Bake on the centre rack for 30 mins. then reduce oven temperature to 325F, turning the pie 180 degrees, and continue to bake 40-50 minutes. or until crumbs are golden and filling is bubbly.
5. Cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before serving.