2 slices thick cut bacon finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. smoked Spanish paprika
1/2 to 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed fire-roasted tomatoes or regular tomatoes (Trader Joes)
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 cup beer (India Pale Ale or pilsner)
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1 can (14.5 oz.) pinto beans, drained
1. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon, stirring until it just begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Add onion, lower heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent, 4 to 7 minutes.
3. Uncover pan, stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute.
4. Increase heat to medium-high and add ground beef; break it up with a wooden spoon and stir gently until it loses its raw color, 6 to 8 minutes.
5. Stir in spices and salt and cook 1 minute.
6. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beer, and Worcestershire and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover partially, and cook 30 minutes.
8. Add beans and cook 10 minutes, uncovered.
9. Season to taste with additional salt
10. Serve hot with toppings