3 1/2 cups Swans Down or Soft as Silk Cake Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 sticks butter, room temperature
3 cup sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon or orange extract
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
grated orange peel
***Emeril's Orange Glaze***
4 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons water
***Orange Or Lemon Glaze***
1 cup powdered confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup pure fresh orange juice (for Orange Glaze)
1/4 cup pure fresh lemon juice (for Lemon Glaze)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, 325 if using a dark pan.
2. Sift together cake flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp baking soda. Sift two times.
3. Cream 3 sticks of butter at room temperature until fluffy. Gradually add 2 3/4 cups sugar to butter and beat until light and fluffy.
4. Add 6 room temperature eggs, one at a time to the butter and sugar, beating well after each egg.
5. Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp lemon or orange extract.
6. Slowly beat in the flour mixture alternately with 1 cup sour cream until all of it is incorporated. Scrape down sides of bowl. Then turn up beater and beat about 2 minutes to fully mix.
7. Pour batter into greased and floured 12 cup pound cake pan. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the cake to make sure sides are not stuck to the pan before turning out onto a cake rack.
8. Serve glazed or unglazed
Orange Glaze: Combine confectioners sugar, orange rind and orange juice. Drizzle over warm cake.
Lemon-Orange Glaze: Glaze: Stir vanilla into sugar until a runny paste is formed. Stir in peel and enough juice to make glaze pourable. When cake is completely cooled, turn out of pan onto serving plate and drizzle glaze over the top.
Emeril's Orange Glaze: For the orange syrup: In a saucepan, combine the juice of the oranges (about 1/2 cup) and the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Brush the top of the cake with the orange syrup. Let the cake sit for 10 minutes.... ... In a mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar, orange juice and some of the milk. Whisk until smooth. Pour the frosting over each cake letting the excess drip down the sides of the cake. Using a knife, spread the frosting evenly over the sides of the cakes... Allow the frosting to set.
For glaze: Combine sugar, lemon juice and water in a saucepan. Stir smooth, then heat over very low heat, just until lukewarm. Add Pure Vanilla Extract. Drizzle over cake.
Orange Or Lemon Glaze
Melt butter, add sugar and slowly add orange juice, pour over warm cake.