1. In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In small saucepan over low heat, heat milk and 1/2 cup butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130F.). (Butter does not need to melt.)
With mixer at low speed, gradually pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients; beat until just mixed.
Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Beat in 1 egg, almond extract and 1 cup flour or enough to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes, scraping occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough flour (about 2 cups) to make soft dough.
2. Turn dough onto well-floured surface and knead 10 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding more flour while kneading. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough over to grease top.
Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (80ºto85º), away from draft, until doubled, about 2 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare Apricot Filling.
3. Punch down dough; turn onto lightly floured surface; cut in half; cover with towel for 15 minutes. With lightly floured rolling pin, roll one piece into 20"x14" rectangle. Brush dough generously with melted butter; spread half of filling to within 1/2-inch of edges. Starting with 20" edge, tightly roll dough, jelly-roll fashion; pinch edges to seal.
Place roll, seam-side down, on floured surface. With sharp knife, cut roll into 10 wedges, each about 2-1/2 inches at wide side, about 1-inch at short sides.
4. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Place dough wedges, short-side up on cookie sheet; with finger, across top of each wedge, press to form butterfly-like wings.
Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. In cup,m beat remaining egg slightly; use to brush top of rolls.
5. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake rolls 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from cookie sheet and cool completely on wire racks. Wrap rolls in one layer in foil and freeze.
About 25 minutes before serving:
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat wrapped frozen rolls 15 minutes or until warm.
Apricot Filling: In medium saucepan over high heat, 1 (8-ounce) package dried apricots and 2
1/2 cups water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until apricots are tender; drain. With fork or wire whip, beat in 3/4 cup sugar until apricots are mashed; cool.