*2 c. soymilk
*2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
*1 ½ c. granulated sugar
*2/3 c. canola oil
*2 tsp. vanilla extract
*1 tsp. almond extract
*1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. all-purpose flour
*2/3 c. cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
*1 ½ tsp. baking soda
*1 tsp. baking powder
*½ tsp. salt
*1 c. vegan margarine, slightly softened
*1/4 c. plain soymilk
*3 c. powdered sugar
*1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 muffin pans with paper or foil liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl or Pyrex measuring cup, then set aside for a few minutes to thicken. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
3. Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
1. Beat the margarine together until fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.
2. Add the vanilla and soymilk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy. You may want to omit soymilk if not using frosting immediately.
Optional toppings: shredded coconut, chocolate shavings or sliced almonds