1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in water and add 2 cups
flour and let stand for at least 10 min to give the
yeast time to get going. (If you want to start and
then finish later in the day.)
2. Add the salt, oil, spinach, garlic and enough of the
rest of the flour to make a dough that is a bit stiff,
that can be easily kneaded by hand. Mix and
knead by hand (10 min), mixer (7 min) or bread
machine set on the dough cycle, until it is smooth.
Let it rest for 5 min. to relax the gluten and make it
easier to shape. Place dough in a greased bowl
and turn so that the top has a thin film of grease.
Let rise until double in size.
3. Knock dough down and knead out any stray
bubbles. Cut dough into 8 pieces, flatten each
piece and roll into a 7" circle. Set aside to rest for
at least 15 min.
4. Pre-heat oven to 500º. Sprinkle baking sheet or
stone with cornmeal or cover with parchment
paper. Pre-heat stone or pan for 2 min. on the floor
of the oven, or if this is not possible on the lowest
rack. Transfer 2-3 pitas onto the pan. Close the
door and keep it shut for 2 min. Don't peek or the
pocket might not form.
5. After 1 min, place the sheet on a higher rack and
bake for another 5-6 min, until the pitas have blown
up into balloons and are lightly browned.
6. Immediately remove from pan to wire rack to cool.
They will deflate while cooling. When completely
cooled you can press more air out.