1. Beat egg yolks with 3/4 c sugar. Melt chocolate
with water, cool slightly and mix with egg yolks.
2. Beat whites with 1/4 c sugar and fold into the
3. Butter a large jelly roll pan (11x17) and line with
wax paper. Butter wax paper.
4. Spread mixture evenly in pan and bake at 300º for
15 min, then turn to 350º and bake 10 min. longer.
5. Remove immediately from oven and cover with a
damp dish towel. Cool thoroughly. Remove towel
and sprinkle with cocoa.
6. Turn pan over onto another sheet of wax paper and
remove top sheet of wax paper.
7. Whip cream and sweeten as desired with
powdered sugar. Spread whipped cream over cake.
8. Roll cake up like a jelly roll, using the paper as a
guide. (Cracks can be mended with your fingers).
9. Optional toppings: whipped cream, shaved
chocolate curls, chocolate syrup. For the
Christmas holidays, roll can be decorated as a
Yule log with meringue mushrooms etc.