1. Enough vegetable shortening to deep-fry (2 1/2 to 3 cups)
2. Wash fish and pat dry, lightly season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Combine seasoned salt and next 6 ingredients and mix well.
4. Dip fillets in eggs, then in cornmeal mixture.
5. Place fillets on a wax paper-covered plate and refrigerate at least I hour to allow cornmeal coating to set.
6. In a large, heavy frying pan, preferably cast iron, heat bacon drippings and shortening to 370 degrees F. Oil is sufficiently hot when a haze forms above the oil and a drop of water can dance across the surface.
7. Deep-fry fish until golden brown, drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
Excellent with slaw and Hush Puppy Patties.