1. Bake: a 9-inch pie shell
2. In a saucepan put: 2 cups canned crushed pineapple, drained of its juice, and 1 tablespoon butter. Cook stirring frequently, until thick.
3. Separate: 2 eggs. Beat yolks lightly. Pour a little of the pineapple mixture over the yolks, beat, and stir into the saucepan.
4. Cook mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until yolks have cooked a little and thickened.
5. Let this custard cook, then pour it into the baked pie shell.
6. Preheat oven to slow (325º F.)
1. beat until frothy: 3 egg whites with 1/8 teaspoons salt.
2. Add: 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly. Add: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until stiff glossy.
Spread meringue over pineapple custard and bake in the slow oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until meringue is delicately browned. Let pie cool before serving.