1/2 lb filo pastry leaves
1/2 c melted butter
1/4 c olive oil
Combine above ingredients.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 chopped onion
1/4 tsp salt
6 large cloves crushed garlic
1 tbsp crushed basil
1 tbsp oregano
Juice from 1/2 large lemon
2 lb fresh spinach cleaned, stemmed & chopped (or 4 10 oz pkg frozen, chopped spinach)
lots of freshly ground black pepper
1 lb grated mozzarella cheese
2 cup crumbled feta or farmer's cheese
4 medium tomatoes, in thin slices
1/2 c fine Italian bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 400º F. Butter a large baking tray with 1" sides.
1. In a large skillet, cook the onions and garlic with salt in 2 tbsp olive oil, until the onions are clear and soft. Add herbs, lemon juice and spinach, and cook over fairly high heat, stirring, until the spinach is limp and the liquid is evaporated.
2. On a large, buttered baking tray, (I use a large non-stick cookie sheet with sides), begin layering the sheets of filo dough, brushing each surface with a generous amount of combined butter and olive oil. continue layering the pastry leaves until you've used them all. Brush the top surface of the stack with the remaining butter/olive oil mixture.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the spinach mixture from its skillet to the pastry stack, leaving behind whatever liquid failed to evaporate. Spread the spinach mixture evenly in place, leaving a 1/2 inch border of pastry.
4. Sprinkle on the crumbled feta or farmer's cheese, plus half the mozzarella.
5. Dredge the tomato slices in bread crumbs, arrange these on top of the pizza, and toss the remaining mozzarella over the tomatoes. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.