¾ stick butter (6T)
½ C firmly packed Dark brown sugar
1/ 3 lb pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/3 inch Thick rings
For the Cake:
2/3 C milk
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 t vanilla
1 t grated lemon rind
1 ½ C all purpose flour
½ C granulated sugar
2t double acting baking powder
½ t salt
¾ stick (6T) unsalted butter, cut into bits and softened
1 T dark rum
Pecan halves for decoration
Glazed cherries for decoration
1 ½ C whipped cream flavored with rum, as an accompaniment
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. In the ovenproof skillet melt the butter, add the brown sugar and cook the syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until golden.
3. Arrange the pineapple rings in the skillet and cook them over moderate heat, shaking the pan occasionally, for 5 – 7 minutes, or until the syrup is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes.
4. Pour ½ C of the syrup carefully into a small bowl and reserve.
5. In a bowl combine the milk, egg, vanilla and lemon rind.
6. Into the bowl of the mixer sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With the mixer running, add the milk mixture in a stream and beat the batter until well combined. Add the butter, one piece at a time, beating, and beat the batter until smooth.
7. Pour the batter over the pineapple, set the skillet on a baking sheet, and bake the cake in the middle of the oven for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a cake tester (toothpick), inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Let the cake cool in the skillet for 5 minutes, invert a serving plate over the skillet, and invert the cake carefully onto it.