Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare white sauce and set aside
Roughly chop or tear cabbage into 1-2” pieces.
Add salt and cabbage to boiling water. Boil for approximately 6-8 minutes, being careful not to overcook. Cabbage should remain tender crisp.
• In a greased 2-qt casserole dish, layer cabbage, enough sauce to cover, second layer of cabbage, remaining sauce, then cheese. Top with buttered bread crumbs.
• Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Basic White Sauce
2 sticks butter or margarine
3 TB plain flour
Salt and pepper
1 quart milk
• Melt butter in a saucepan.
• Remove from heat and whisk or stir in flour until consistency is a smooth paste.
• Move back to heat and stir in milk. Cook until thick, stirring constantly.
• Add salt and pepper to taste.