3 large tomatoes
1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
1 tsp black mustard seeds (rai)
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
1 curry leaf (if you can find it), or bay leaf
2 whole green serrano chillies, slit
Pinch of turmeric
1 tsp pureed garlic
1/2 tsp pureed ginger root
I tbsp tomato paste
Juice of 1 lemon
Chopped fresh cilantro (dhania)
1. Peel and dice the potatoes and keep in cold water.
2. Cut the tomatoes into large chunks and blend to liquefy.
3. Heat oil and add rai, methi, curry leaf and chillies. Cover immediately until you hear it popping (not long!)
4. As soon as you hear the popping, add the garlic and ginger. Turn the heat down to low and stir. Meanwhile, drain the potatoes.
5. Add the potatoes, and pinch of turmeric, and about a teaspoon of salt. Turn heat up to medium and stir.
6. Add the blended tomatoes, tomato paste, and enough water to cover the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
7. Add dhania and lemon juice to taste.
8. Taste and add salt if necessary.