1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 piece ginger root , minced (1/2-inch long)
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into 1 inch cubes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves , minced
1 jalapeņo chile , minced
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. For marinade, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, red pepper, black pepper, cinnamon, salt and ginger in a medium bowl or food-safe plastic bag; stir in chicken, marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, soak six 6-inch bamboo skewers in water to cover 30 minutes and set aside.
3. For sauce, melt butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat, add garlic and jalapeno; cook 1 minute.
4. Stir in coriander, cumin, paprika, garam masala and salt.
5. Stir in tomato sauce, simmer 15 minutes, stir in cream; simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-high (or heat broiler).
7. Remove chicken from refrigerator and thread chicken onto skewers; discard marinade.
8. Grill or broil chicken, turning occasionally, until cooked through, about 8 minutes.
9. Remove chicken from skewers; add to sauce; Simmer 5 minutes; sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
10. Serve with basmati rice, naan or pita bread.
This. Is. Awesome. Obviously- it's my favorite!
The prep time includes one hour of marinading, but overnight is better. I skip the skewer-and-grill routine and just cook the chicken either in a separate pan on the stove before I add it to the sauce or by roasting in the oven. I also usually add an extra jalapeņo- you can leave them out altogether if you don't want it hot.
Don't be afraid of the ingredients- it looks like a lot, but it really isn't. I found everything in the regular grocery store, so no special trips for this dish!
To make this a perfect meal, serve with Naan- so good!