1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Heat cherries with amaretto in saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes. Drain cherries, reserving 2 Tbsp of liquid.
3. Sift together flour, baking power, and salt.
4. Mix butter and sugar with mixer until fluffy.
5. Mix in 3 eggs into the butter and sugar, one at a time. Mix in cherry liquid and vanilla.
6. Gradually mix in flour mixture.
7. Stir in cherries and almonds.
8. On lightly floured surface, divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 12 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch log. Flatten logs to about 1/2 inch thick.
9. Transfer to two lightly greased baking sheets. Brush logs with beaten egg, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
10. Bake 35 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool 20 minutes.
11. Cut each log on the diagonal into 16 to 18 pieces. Transfer pieces to baking sheet cut sides down.
12. Bake at 300º for 8 minutes. Flip, and bake another 8 minutes. Let cool until crisp.