1. In bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast and 1 cup flour. In saucepan heat milk and 1/4 cup butter until warm (120º to 130º). Butter does not need to melt completely. With mixer at low speed, beat liquid into dry ingredients. At medium speed, beat 2 minutes. Beat in egg add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes. Stir in 11/2 cups flour.
2. On floured surface, knead dough until smooth, about 10 minutes, adding more flour (about 1/4 cup)while kneading. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough over so that top is greased. Cover and let rise in warm place (80º to 85º), away from draft, until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Punch down dough; turn onto floured surface; cover and let rest 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, walnuts, raisins, and cinnamon. Grease 13" by 9" baking pan. Melt 1/4 cup butter.
5. On floured surface, roll dough into 18" by 12" rectangle; brush with melted butter; sprinkle on sugar mixture. Starting with 18 inch side, roll dough jelly roll fashion; pinch seam to seal. With seam side down, cut roll crosswise into 18 slices; place in pan, cut side down. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 400º. Bake 20 minutes; cool slightly; brush with sugar glaze.
In small bowl, stir 1 cup powdered sugar and 4 teaspoons water until smooth