2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Yellow Sweet Potato, diced
1 cup Carrots, diced
2 Celery Stalks, diced
2 Zucchini Squash, diced
2 Shallots (or green onions), diced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
28 oz Chicken or Vegetable Broth
28 oz can Diced Tomatoes w/ Juice
1/2 cup Frozen Spinach OR 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
2 Bay Leaves
2 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Parsley
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1.5-2# Ground Pork Sausage (optional)
1. Place the olive oil in the bottom of the crock pot.
2. Add the prepared sweet potatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, shallots, and garlic to the crock pot.
3. Pour in the chicken (or vegetable) broth.
4. Add the entire can (including juice) of diced tomatoes.
5. Add the frozen spinach (no need to thaw and drain, just add it frozen).
6. Add in the oregano, basil, parsley, cayenne, and salt.
7. Stir everything together, add the bay leaves, cover, and cook on low for 6-8 hours (I prefer 8 hours).
8. About 2 hours before the soup is done, brown the ground pork sausage, breaking it up into small pieces with the back of a wooden spoon.
9. Once the pork is cooked through (no pink), add it to the crock pot and mix it all together.
10. Remove the bay leaves before serving.