1. Preheat to oven 350°F degrees. Set a kettle of water to boil. Set an 8- or 9-inch
cake (or pie) pan with 2-inch high sides inside of a larger baking pan (such as a
2. In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until completely dissolved.
Watch carefully so it does not burn. You may swirl the pan to stir. Remove from
heat when it is a dark golden, amber color.
3. Immediately pour the melted sugar into the bottom of the cake pan, working
quickly before it hardens. Set aside.
4. In a blender beat the cream cheese, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk,
eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour the custard into the cake pan over the sugar caramel. Next, add boiling
water to the larger pan. It should come up the sides about an inch deep. The cake
pan will be sitting in a water bath.
6. Bake for 1 hour, or until set around the edges with a slight jiggle in the middle.
Remove from oven and let the flan cool.
7. Once cool, refrigerate at least 2 hours, but overnight is best.