o 2/3 lb 95% lean ground beef + some pepperoni and sausage
o 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
o 1 small onion, chopped
o 2 stalks celery, chopped
o 1 cup sliced mushrooms ( or use 2 small cans sliced mushrooms, drained)
o 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
o 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomato sauce
o 1 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
o 3 -4 tablespoons mixed Italian herbs
o 2 dried bay leaves
o fresh ground black pepper
o 1 pinch brown sugar (optional)
o 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Brown beef & sausage in a saucepot or large, deep skillet over medium heat; add pepperoni. Drain excess fat.
2. Add garlic and saute until just turning white.
3. Add onion, celery, and mushrooms. Saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Add tomato paste and mix together. Stir in herbs and bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a pinch of brown sugar, if desired.
5. Bring sauce to a simmer; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package instructions.
6. Before serving, remove bay leaves and taste; adjust seasoning as desired. Serve over hot pasta, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.