1 ½ lb (approx. .750 kg) stewing beef cubes, browned
3 potatoes, peeled and cut in small bite sized cubes
2 carrots, sliced (or even easier some baby carrots)
1 stalk of celery chopped (optional)
1 small onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 carton (900 ml) beef broth
1 can (5 oz/156 mL) tomato paste (pour some broth in a cup and mix the tomato paste until it is smooth)
1 tbsp (15 mL) worcestershire sauce
½ cup (250 mL) frozen peas (optional)
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
3 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
1. Brown beef in a pan.
2. In slow-cooker, mix together browned beef, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, beef broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
4. After 8 hours, add peas, if using.
5. Mix flour, salt and pepper with 1/2 cup water (it will be like a paste) and stir into stew.
6. Cook, covered on HIGH, for another 15 to 30 minutes until thickened.