1 cup (113g) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup (227g) sourdough starter, unfed/discard
4 tbsp (57g) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp dried herbs of your choice, optional
oil, for brushing
coarse salt (such as kosher or sea salt) for sprinkling on top
1. Mix together the flour, salt, sourdough starter, butter, and optional herbs to make a smooth (not sticky), cohesive dough.
2. Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a small rectangular slab. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to a couple of hours, until the dough is firm.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
4. Very lightly flour a piece of parchment, your rolling pin, and the top of the dough.
5. Working with one piece at a time, roll the dough to about 1/16" thick. The dough will have ragged, uneven edges; that's OK. Just try to make it as even as possible.
6. Transfer the dough and parchment together onto a baking sheet. Lightly brush with oil and then sprinkle the salt over the top of the crackers.
7. Cut the dough into 1 1/4" squares; a rolling pizza wheel works well here.
8. Prick each square with the tines of a fork.
9. Bake the crackers for 20 to 25 minutes, until the squares are starting to brown around the edges. Midway through, reverse the baking sheets: both top to bottom, and front to back; this will help the crackers brown evenly.
10. When fully browned, remove the crackers from the oven, and transfer them to a cooling rack. Store airtight at room temperature for up to a week; freeze for longer storage.
ŠKing Arthur Baking