1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. dried basil
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
½ cup warm water
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped carrot
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme ( or ½ tsp. dried thyme)
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried dill
¾ tsp ground black pepper
2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
3 vegan chicken flavored bouillon cubes
6 cups hot water
½ cup frozen peas
1 cup finely chopped kale
½ cup roughly chopped parsley
sea salt, to taste
- Make the dough first by stirring together the flour, baking powder, salt, and herbs.
- Then create a well in the center of the mixture and pour oil and warm water in.
- Fold together with a spatula until well combined and sticky. It will be wet and sticky, but it should form a mound or ball.
- Let it rest in the bowl covered with a tea tower while you prepare the soup.
- Heat a stock pot over medium heat and sauté onion, carrot, and celery in vegetable oil for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then add minced garlic, thyme, sage, dill, and pepper, and stir together for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes for 2 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until fork tender and soft for about 8-10 minutes.
- Once boiling, you'll dollop small spoonfuls of dough into the soup. They will float to the surface and puff up. Cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- In the last two minutes of dumplings cooking, add peas, kale, and parsley. You may need to add more salt if you\ve used a low-sodium vegetable stock but I find the chicken-flavored bouillon to be plenty salty. Serve immediately.