- If using chicken breasts, cut each in half horizontally and pound flat; looking for an even thickness of about 1/2 inch. If using chicken fillets, you're good to go.
- Dice up Shallot as fine as possible, cut up mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. Crush or mince garlic cloves.
- Set stove to medium heat, add oil, then saute the chicken breasts until golden brown. Chicken is ready to flip when it releases easily from the pan.
- Do not forget to season. If your chosen stock/broth has salt already in it, be aware of that and adjust accordingly.
- Once chicken has browned on all sides, remove from pan, cover, and set aside. Chicken should be cooked all the way through.
- Add butter and shallot to pan, sweat until translucent. Add mushrooms to pan and continue to cook until they soften and shrink.
- Add crushed garlic and saute until your house smells amazing, 30-60 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to combine, keep stirring for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the white wine and use your spatula to de-glaze the pan. If your home insurance is paid up, you can set the fumes on fire!..briefly.
- Turn heat to medium-high and reduce the liquid, the farther you reduce it the less alcohol there will be in the finished dish.
- Add stock/broth, stir to combine. Return the chicken and the juices to the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce the sauce.
- Once the sauce reduces and thickens, it's ready! Don't forget to taste your sauce for seasoning and adjust if needed.