1 lb. chicken breasts; skinless (2 large breasts)
2 T. olive oil
3 t. onion powder
2 t. garlic powder
3 t. chili powder
2 t. cumin
1 t. salt and pepper to taste
3 c. chicken broth
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes; drained
1 14-oz. can black beans; drained and rinsed
2 ¾ c. instant whole grain brown rice
1 ½ c. shredded Colby Jack cheese
Add-ins: fresh tomatoes, sour cream, avocadoes and/or guacamole
1. Place chicken in slow cooker.
2. Pour chicken broth over chicken and stir in tomatoes, olive oil and spices.
3. Cook on low for about 4 hours, until chicken reaches 165º and shreds easily.
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred.
5. Turn slow cooker to high and stir in black beans and rice.
6. Let cook 30-45 minutes on high; or until rice is tender.
7. Add chicken back in, top with cheese and let cook a few minutes until cheese is melted.
8. Serve with fresh diced tomatoes, sour cream, avocadoes and guacamole.