For spiced pecans:
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp light brown sugar
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup pecan halves
1/2 to 3/4 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/3 cup walnut oil
1/3 cup light olive oil (can double olive oil and omit walnut oil)
Salt and Ground black pepper
8 ounces mixed salad greens
2 ripe but firm pears, cored and sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
8 ounces seedless red grapes - halved
6 ounces of gorgonzola cheese (or roquefort cheese)
1. Preheat the oven 180C.
2. In mixing bowl, combine cayenne, cumin and brown sugar.
3. Add oil and mix thoroughly
4. Add pecans and toss until thoroughly coated - use had to coat well
5. Spread pecans on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes - watch carefully not to burn
6. Toss half-way through cooking.
7. Set aside to cool (can keep in container up to 2 days)
8. In a blender, combine apple chunks, shallots and process until smooth
9. Add the vinegar and sugar and blend
10. Add oil and blend until creamy
11. Add salt and pepper to taste. Can store in fridge, but shake well before use
12. In large bowl, combine pecans, greens, pears, grapes and crumbled cheese.
13. Add half of the vinaigrette and toss thoroughly
14. Add more vinaigrette to taste