crust: (or you can use store bought crust)
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ cups white whole-wheat flour
2 tbsp sugar plus 2 teaspoons, divided
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ cup canola oil
4 tbsp cold butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
4 ounces cold reduced fat cream cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
5-6 tbsp water
1½ tbsp cider vinegar
1 large egg white, mixed with 1 tbs water
1½-2 pounds ripe apricots, quartered (6 cups)
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp quick-cooking tapioca
1 tsp lemon juice
¼ tsp salt
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1½ tsp butter cubed
1. To prepare crust: Combine all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder and ½ tsp salt in a food processor. Pulse 3 times to mix. Add oil, 4 tbsp butter and cream cheese and pulse until it looks like coarse meal, 10 to 15 times. Add 5 tbsp water and vinegar, pulse until the dough is starting to come together, about 5 more times; add 1 tbsp water, if necessary. Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and knead until it comes together. Divide the dough in half and shape into 2 5-inch-wide disks. Wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. When ready to assemble & bake: Preheat oven to 425 degrees
3. Roll out one disk of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9 inch pie pan.
4. To prepare filling: Gently toss apricots, sugar, flour, tapioca, lemon juice, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl. Scrape the filling into the crust. Dot with butter.
5. Add the top crust in a lattice.
6. Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temp to 375 degrees and continue baking until the crust is golden brown, the fruit is tender,and the juices are bubbling, about 15 minutes more. Ten with foil if the crust is browing too quickly. Let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.