container of cherry tomatoes, halved (or use two roma tomatoes)
1/2 onion, diced
6 cloves of garlic, smashed
red pepper flakes
lemon pepper (regular pepper works well too)
1. Prepare the ingredients. Vegetables should be diced uniformly.
2. Add olive oil to a saute pan over medium heat.
3. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and saute until they have begun to develop color.
4. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
5. Add the tomatoes and tomato juice and mix well. If you are adding spinach, this is the time to add it as well. The mixture should be slightly soupy; if there is not enough liquid, add water.
6. Simmer for several minutes until the liquid has reduced and formed a sauce.
7. Add your spices: to taste, the sauce should be spicy and acidic. Sumac helps with the acidity and color. Za'atar helps round out the flavors.
8. Make three wells in the sauce and add your eggs. Poach your eggs in the sauce until the whites and set and the yolks are still slightly runny.
9. Serving: I like to top mine with basil and lemon juice, with a side of toasted pita. If you don't have any of that, that is okay, it is just as good on its own.