1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
1 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup dry red wine
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
8 ounces baby potatoes, scrubbed clean, * optional, can do mashed potatoes too
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup red wine
2 Tbsp flour
1. Press the 'SAUTE' button on your Instant Pot mini. Set the timer for 15 minutes. Add the olive oil, and allow it to heat.
2. While the oil preheats, combine all of the spices in a small bowl: onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, salt, thyme and celery seed (if using). Press this spice mixture on both sides of the chuck roast, pressing it into all surfaces of the beef. Use all of the spice mixture.( Or, just salt and pepper and then add all other spices after searing)
3. Once the olive oil is hot, add the beef and sear it on the first side for about 5-7 minutes. When it's golden brown on the first side and releases easily from the pot, flip and sear the second side.
4. When the beef is seared on both sides, remove it from the pot. Saute the onions slighlty and add a little broth to lift the bits stuck to the pot. Add the Worcestershire sauce,broth and red wine and stir very well. Nestle the beef back into the pot--the liquid won't cover the beef completely.
5. Press 'OFF' to kill the 'Saute' function. Next, hit 'PRESSURE COOK,' and make sure it's set to 'HIGH.' Then, turn the timer to 35 minutes. Ensure the 'Keep Warm' function is off.( tried 30 minutes)
6. Sprinkle the onions, carrots, and potatoes around the beef. Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn the valve to 'SEALING.'
7. The Instant Pot will beep, and then come up to pressure fully before the 35-minute timer begins to count down.
8. Once the timer is up, allow the pot to complete a natural pressure release. The pressure valve will drop down to let you know all pressure has left the pot. Approximately 30 minutes.
9. Remove the beef and veggies from the pot to plate and cover with foil.Remove 2 cups of cooking lid to glass measure for gravy.
10. Add sliced mushrooms to pot.'SAUTE' on high until mushrooms are softened.
11.Add flour and wine to reserved liquid and stir into mushrooms in pot. Boil until gravy thickens.